Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A Curse And A Blessing

Hello, my name is Khemeny Yim. People just call me Kim for short. I was born in Cambodia in a little town called Battombong. I came to America when I was three years old; so basically you can say I am "Americanize." Although my first language is Khmer, English is my preferred language. In my house, we always speak Khmer, but we also mix English in our sentence. You wouldn't think I would be born in another country, if you see me in person.

 

Well, I am not fluent in Khmer but I do understand it when spoken to. I know when to switch from both languages through out my life. When I am around my teachers, I would speak English because school is where I have to master English. When I am around my mother, she wants me to be true to my culture; so I have to respond to her in Khmer. I wouldn't say speaking two languages is difficult. I think of it as a blessing and a curse at the same time. Since, I speak a little Khmer, people think I know every word in the dictionary.

2 comments:

  1. Its really neat to find out that you were born in Cambodia and are bilingual. You are right to say that these are things are not obvious just by looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used a meme in your blog. It was a fun way to engage with the audience.

    ReplyDelete